Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Essay :-D

I had to write this for english, and it is mostly true, well kinda in a way :) Let me know what you think!

The Haunting Morning
By: Rachel Whitmer

The lights in my mind dimmed as I drifted into sleep. The noises slowed and my soft pink pillow caressed my head as I cuddle with my yellow comforter, in the dark room I live in. My teddy bears guarded me, their princess, as I slipped into my dreams of the upcoming events of tomorrow. Being five years old limits my spectrum of dreaming, but never the less, I was overcome with peace as I drifted into slumber. How could I at this time imagine the horrible outcome of what the devils, I call brothers, would do to me as I woke up the next morning? How could I prepare myself in such a peaceful state of slumber, to be devastated even into tears? There is no preparation for a five year old with two older brothers.

Going to bed the night before was just as natural as it always is, my dear mother tucked my yellow blanket snug around me, as she sang to me about angel’s watching over me as I slept. I could feel my eye lids drooping and I curled into a ball as mother kissed my forehead good night. I believed that each angel my mother sang to me about was actually watching out for me, and so they might have been. Sleep did not escape me long as the soft hum of the heater lulled me to sleep. The dark blues mixed with the lighter yellows on my wall became a blur and the rainbows in my mind began to brighten. My innocent dreams were kind to me, helping me relax into a sweet happiness. And that happiness might have remained with me through the next beautiful day had my parents chosen to make me the only child.
I could see the sun peeking through my white curtains on the far wall, but I fought the feeling to awaken and shoved my head deep into my plush pillow. Warmth surrounded me, and my large calico cat was curled on my feet keeping them warm and my toes toasty. I began to fade quickly again into the chasm of my mind, when I hear my door creek. I peek just a tad to see the white door being pushed toward the direction of my bed. My first thought was that, it might just be my mom checking on me making sure I was still sleeping okay, and then something seemed different. Mom usually sits at the edge of my bed and gently moves my hair from my face and whispers words I can’t hear into the open air. But this wasn’t her. I could feel it, and smell it. My mother smells like Lilies on a gentle spring morning. However, that wasn’t the smell, it was more like dirt and wet socks. The smell alone was ruining my mood, but before I knew it two boys had jumped on me and were dangling a giant spider in front of my soft, hardly awake, face. The older one started tickling up my arm, like a real spider would, and I began screaming. Tears came and I tried closing my eyes but I couldn’t, I was far to scared. I needed to analyze my surroundings, but I couldn’t because my massive brother was pinning me down! I screamed and screamed for my mother, and at last she came barreling into my room with a look that could have been described as death itself. She was not happy, and when mother isn’t happy, no one is.

My brothers climbed off me quickly, it seems that mother didn’t have to say anything the look just said it all. They marched themselves out of my room muttering something about how little sisters ruin everything, and I curled up against my teddy bear and tried to stop crying. After my mother took the boys to their rooms she came back to comfort me, and to try and calm me down. But all I could think about was how I wish I was still sleeping comfortable against my down pillow with my yellow blanket tucked around me. And as if my mom could read my mind she laid me back down in my bed and tucked me in. Making sure the comforter was outlining the shape of my traumatized little body. Then she again, began to sing. And again I began to drift into sleep, but it was different this time. I couldn’t get the image of the spider out of my mind. And since that morning, ten years ago, I still haven’t been able to get the image out of my mind. It haunts me every morning as the sun rises and I hear my door creek.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rachel! That was a great essay, and an awful story...I'm sure Ben had no part in that. :)

    ReplyDelete